Saturday 21 March 2015

Austrian Grenadiers 28mm Victrix

Next up is some Austrian Grenadiers from Victrix. I decided to give Victrix a try, as Perry didn't make German Grenadiers when I bought these, and in any case Victrix would work out much cheaper! As it turned out I'm quite happy with these figures, and they compare favourably with Perry. 


I originally painted the bags on their bearskins in the facing colours, but disliked the irregular look and ended up repainting them all yellow. Historically I understand that the cloth bags were originally in the facing colours but this was eventually replaced with yellow, though many regiments kept the facing colour versions for some time.



Four regiments completed! I did eight facing colours, as Grenadier units were made up of converged Grenadier companies from separate battalions, with typically three combined in each Grenadier battalion.

With Victrix Austrians you get 56 figures per box (including two mounted figures) for 23 pounds, while Perry are 20 pounds for 48 figures. You get up to 20% on Victrix buying them in bulk (multiple boxes), and up to about 12.5% discount buying Perry in bulk (in their army deals). The Victrix have more options for assembly - Two thirds of the figures come in march attack pose for ease of assembly, but 1/3 of the figures can be assembled in different poses if you like (firing, advancing etc, with lots of options provided). I just made everything in march attack here, excepting that it was nice to have a few more options in poses for the officers than the Perry figures offer. The figures are in the earlier long coats while the Perry's have the later period shorter coats, but I'm prepared to live with that! I still have four mounted figures and 12 spare infantry left over from two boxes of Victrix infantry after assembling these four regiments. 

18 comments:

  1. The Grenadiers are looking fantastic! Very very nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant, I just got through paint 38 2nd edition old glory Austrian grenadiers, all that White is taxing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dan, yes I'm glad to have all this white out of the way!

      Delete
  3. That's a stunning set of grenadiers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You paint 28mm austrians at the speed I paint my 1/72, and I thought I was a fast painter. Those look amazing (but then again, don't Austrians always?!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Mat, yes I love what you've done with your 1/72nd - wonderful!

      Delete
  5. That's a LOT of fine looking Grenadiers. The question as to the color of the bags in the earlier part of the ra has never been definitively resolved to my knowledge.

    I just do each Grenadier unit with one facing (and bag) color, even if not strictly correct.

    Now you need a couple of unit of Hungarian Grenadiers for contrast!.After all, we know how much you love painting the yellow stripes and knots! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I didn't know that about Grenadiers cheers Peter. And as for Hungarians, I dread the thought of it!! No doubt some will be added in time though :)

      Delete
  6. There's not a lot one can say looking at these guys - one simply runs out of superlatives. OK, then: superlative!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the comments all, much appreciated! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Grenadiers excellent. Mark, I have corrected their figures ammunition pouch - I added Grenada. http://fmlschwarzenberg.blogspot.ru/2012/08/blog-post.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are wonderful Mark - can see them attacking the Granary as I type!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am interested to know what colourings for what regiments or battalions did you source ? Ive been trying to get my head around the Grenadiers OOB as I'm starting up .I'm aiming for the 1809 Reserve Korps 1st-5th divisions (or is it regt ? )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rusty I just picked a few colours matching my Line. However this post has a few good resources if you are trying to track down exact details for a particular OOB.
      http://sparkerswargames.blogspot.co.nz/2016/02/wagram-2017-mega-game-call-for.html
      Good luck!

      Delete